United Fresh Names 25 Retail Produce Manager Award Honorees
2016 Marks 12th Year of Honoring Outstanding Retail Produce Managers
WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 10, 2016) – Marking its 12th year of recognizing exceptional retail produce managers, United Fresh Produce Association announced the honorees of its 2016 Retail Produce Manager Awards Program. The group of 25 produce managers represents supermarket banners, commissaries and independent retail stores from 19 different states and two Canadian provinces. The winners will be the honored guests at the United Fresh 2016 convention, June 20-22 in Chicago.
Sponsored by Dole Food Company, the program pays special recognition to produce managers working every day on the front line to increase sales and consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables. Since the program began in 2005, nearly 300 retail produce managers, representing more than 90 different retail banners, have been honored for their contributions to the industry.
“Produce managers are the face of our industry to the consumer. Their creative merchandising and positive approach to customer service directly correlates to the growth of sales and ultimately consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables,” said United Fresh CEO Tom Stenzel. “We are grateful to Dole for once again sponsoring this program and for their partnership in recognizing these 25 deserving honorees.”
The 2016 Retail Produce Manager Award Winners are:
- Amy Allman, The Kroger Company, Athens, GA
- Tricia Arceneaux, Frank’s Supermarkets, Golden Meadow, LA
- Ryan Blancas, Beale AFB Commissary, Marysville, CA
- Jeffery Bonacquisti, Market 32/Price Chopper, Pittsfield, MA
- James Corcoran, ShopRite, Carteret, NJ
- Ted Elliott, Tops Friendly Markets, Warsaw, NY
- Mark Garcia, The Common Market, Frederick, MD
- Michael Giberson, Niemann Foods, Inc., Champaign, IL
- Dan Hanson, Hy-Vee, Inc., Mankato, MN
- James Howard, Food City/K-VA-T Food Stores, Pikeville, KY
- Denise Kelly, Sobeys, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
- Ken Miller, Save Mart, Placerville, CA
- Brice Mollohan, Harris Teeter Supermarkets, Mathews, NC
- Jason Norviel, Schnucks Markets, Des Peres, MO
- Steve Parker, Raley’s Family of Fine Stores, Reno, NV
- Henry Porter, Vashon Thriftway, Vashon, WA
- Jennifer Ratkiewicz, Big Y Foods, Inc., Springfield, MA
- Lely Reyes, Albertsons Companies, McLean, VA
- Ronnie Showers, Roundy’s Supermarkets, Sun Prairie, WI
- Skyler Smith, Marc’s Stores, N. Canton, OH
- Gary Standing, Loblaws Supermarkets, North Sydney, NS, Canada
- Amy Steinke, Coborn’s, Ramsey, MN
- Lucilo Torres, Northgate González Markets, Long Beach, CA
- Brett Walker, Brookshire Grocery Company, Pittsburg, TX
- Keith Zielonka, Food Lion, Morrisville, NC
“Dole is proud to once again honor produce managers across North America who are making a daily commitment to the success of our industry,” said Howard Roeder, President of Dole Fresh Vegetables. “These men and women work to ensure the best presentation of fruits and vegetables through creative merchandising, and they are driven to engage and educate customers of all ages at every turn. They truly are the face of our industry, and we’re honored to recognize them with this achievement.”
The winners were selected from hundreds of nominations submitted by retailers and produce suppliers across the industry. Nominations were evaluated on a number of criteria, including efforts to increase produce consumption through excellence in merchandising, special displays and promotions, community service and commitment to customer satisfaction.
All winners, along with their corporate produce directors, will be honored at United Fresh 2016 during the Retail-Foodservice Celebration Dinner on Wednesday, June 22 at the Chicago Marriott. In addition to their awards, five Grand Prize recipients will receive a $1,000 cash prize.
Co-located with FMI Connect 2016, the International Floriculture Expo, and the new Global Cold Chain Expo, United Fresh 2016 will bring together retail, fresh produce, floral and cold chain logistics leaders who are searching for unique products, and who are looking to enhance relationships with valuable business partners. Registration is available at www.unitedfreshshow.org.
For more information about the Retail Produce Manager Awards Program, contact Jeff Oberman, Vice President, Trade Relations, at 831-600-8922 or email@example.com. United Fresh will start accepting nominations for 2017 beginning this fall, with winners to be honored at United Fresh 2017 in Chicago.
About United Fresh Produce Association
Founded in 1904, the United Fresh Produce Association brings together companies across every segment of the fresh produce supply chain, including growers, shippers, fresh cut processors, wholesalers, distributors, retailers, foodservice operators, industry suppliers and allied associations. We empower industry leaders to shape sound government policy. We deliver the resources and expertise companies need to succeed in managing complex business and technical issues. We provide the training and development individuals need to advance their careers in produce. Through these endeavors, we unite our industry with a common purpose – to build long-term value for our members and grow produce consumption.